photo flintlocktimes22_zpse23b4ee7.jpg

Black Powder Times

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search  

News:

Check out Sheriff Langston's Photography 101 section for excellent tips on cameras and photography on cameras and photography.

Author Topic: Goex Olde Eynsford  (Read 2217 times)

swathdiver

• View Profile
Goex Olde Eynsford
« on: February 01, 2013, 04:32:17 PM »

Any updates on information, reviews or availability on this powder? 

Is this here to stay?  Is the FFFg size comparable to "Revolver Powder" in power?  Will there be a FFFFg?

Putting an order together and wanted to try some SWISS but if this stuff is comparable and here to stay, I'm in!

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Now you done went and done it.
    • View Profile
Re: Goex Olde Eynsford
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »

I didn't think it was out yet but is supposed to be comparable to Swiss.
Put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 05:39:14 PM »

I was just over at the Goex website and the only "News Flash" they have is about rebuilding the Goex production plant to improve it. The "News Flash" is two years old. Not a word about Olde Eynsford powder.

http://www.goexpowder.com/GoexinvestingPR.pdf

Hawg

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:39:36 AM »

Its supposed to be out early 2013. I saw where a couple of places had samples but thats it.

Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 06:26:32 AM »

I take the "long view," back in the 1960's EVERYONE shot DuPont FFFg as that was the only black powder on the market-at least until the DuPont powder plant in Moosic, PA blew up! That is when importers suddenly replaced the DuPont powder on dealer's shelves with Curtis & Harvey black powder imported from Scotland.

Turned out that the Curtis & Harvey powder WAS BETTER than the DuPont black powder. As it turned out, just as soon as the DuPont factory was back in production, Curtis & Harvey powder disappeared from dealer's shelves again. We went back to DuPont being the ONLY black powder available. Somehow, I had a feeling that DuPont was maintaining a "monopoly" on supplies of black powder.

After DuPont got out of the black powder business-suddenly other black powders started appearing on the market. I recall seeing my first can of Schutzen black powder, "Made out of pharmaceutical grade ingredients" in the early 1990's. Then more and more brands of black powder began showing up on the market.

That has spawned a "competition of sorts" because now ALL the manufacturers are producing better, higher quality, powders. When KIK powder first came out, I tried a can of it-and it was horrible-barely "firecracker grade" black powder.

Now KIK powder has improved to the point that it is starting to rival Swiss black powder (the "Gold Standard" of modern black powder.)

The owners of the Elephant plant down in Brazil had hired some American experts and Elephant was in the process of improving their products when the family that owned the company decided to sell the plant. The plant was purchased by another group of Brazilian investors and now the Elephant brand has been replaced with the Diamondback brand manufactured in the improved and upgraded old Elephant plant.

My point? Well, back in the mid-19th Century high quality English black powders were the best in the world. Curtis & Harvey developed a super grade black powder that could ONLY be used in Martini-Henry ammunition. As the Martini-Henry was the service arm of the British army, the British government FORCED Curtis & Harvey to give up their trade secrets of making their superior grade black powder in the interest of "National Defense!"

So, I am very glad to see that Goex is coming out with a high quality powder. I have a feeling that in a few years we are going to get some black powders on the market that are equal to the old Curtis & Harvery and the other high quality British black powders of the 19th Century!!

As for the "substitute" black powders. I have a friend who will occasionally drop by and give me a pound of Pyrodex or one of the other "substitute" black powders. I have a good use for them: I scatter those substitute black powders on my garden as they seem to be excellent fertilizers.

To paraphrase the old Coke slogan: "There is nothing like the REAL THING!"

Buckrutter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »

Goex is ok powder.I prefer the older elephant powder though

Hawg

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 04:31:50 PM »

Goex is ok powder.I prefer the older elephant powder though

You've got to be kidding. You can't have used any of it and say that with a straight face. ):=

FrontierMuzzleloading

• View Profile
    • Frontier Muzzleloading
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 11:16:50 PM »

olde eynsford is a superb powder! I have a sample of the second batch they made. Amazing accuracy and extremely clean shooting.

Hawg

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:11:30 AM »

olde eynsford is a superb powder! I have a sample of the second batch they made. Amazing accuracy and extremely clean shooting.

Cool Beans! Is it better than Swiss?

schoolmarm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 07:05:39 AM »

just hope I'll be able to find some around here..

Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 09:23:59 AM »

The "Millstone Around The Neck" of black powder is the shipping regulations and the storage requirements, most of it being "bureaucratic overkill" otherwise, every retailer would have black powder in stock on gun shop shelves.

I am not advocating completely doing away with those regulations, but they need to be reformed as black powder is perfectly safe when handled properly.

Hawg

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »

The "Millstone Around The Neck" of black powder is the shipping regulations and the storage requirements, most of it being "bureaucratic overkill" otherwise, every retailer would have black powder in stock on gun shop shelves.

I am not advocating completely doing away with those regulations, but they need to be reformed as black powder is perfectly safe when handled properly.

got to agree with you there but it ain't happenin anytime soon.

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 11:48:44 PM »

I would if king.  These regulations suppress the spread of BP and are one of the major reasons of its increasing costs.  Business owners don't need a bunch of federal, state and county employees dreaming up ways to control their BP.  The recommendations of the fire marshall and insurance company requirements ought to do it.  No many how many rules and regs are in place, there's no fixing stupid anyways.